Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Lydia Grace Focosi

by Mike & Amy
Hello everyone,
First of all, thank you for all of your love and support.

I was admitted to the hospital at 2pm Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 (at 34 weeks) because I was leaking amniotic fluid.

I was started on Pitocin right away to induce labor. I only had slight, inconsistent contractions throughout the rest of the night. The doctor broke my water at 8am Monday morning (Dec.3rd). Labor started to progress more after that.

I got an epidural at 3:30pm when the contractions were painful and a couple of minutes apart (I was still only 4 cm dilated).  I dozed for an hour since I felt more comfortable and then all of a sudden I felt her head ready to push out at 4:45pm.  I called the nurse and told her I thought the baby was crowning.  Sure enough she was.  A team of nurses and a doctor from out in the hallway (not mine because this all happened so fast) rushed in and delivered her just like that.  1 1/2 pushes later our baby girl was out at 4:47 pm, Monday, Dec. 3rd, 2007.  Her heart was still beating when laid on my chest right after delivery.  She lived until about 5:15pm and then went to be with our Lord.  

She weighed 3 pounds, 7 ounces and was 15 1/2 in. long.  She had long, skinny feet, beautiful hands, a sweet mouth, and a little dark hair.  Her anencephalic condition was evident, but she was wonderfully and beautifully made by our God.

We spent the rest of the evening holding, cuddling, dressing, and loving on her with close friends and family.  We took lots of pictures, made hand and footprints and cut a lock of hair. We made the most of our very short time with her as a family.  Alex met his baby sister and held her hand.  

I will be discharged Tuesday morning and we will want some much-needed time to ourselves at home.

Words can't express how grateful we are to SO many amazing people in our lives who have helped us abundantly during this difficult time--You all know who you are!!!  We love you!

Please pray for us as we struggle through the grieving process and eventually begin to heal.  Lydia's memorial service will most likely be later this week.

For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength that I need...He has created us anew in Christ Jesus so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago....
Philippians 4:13; Ephesians 2:10

Lydia's little life was the good thing that God had planned for us and He sure has given us so much strength thus far.

We love you...please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment